Thread: CoD 4 Profile Backup

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OSGNinja Steam ID: OSG_Ninja

CoD 4 Profile Backup

For those that are planning on playing on the COD4 Hardcore server and don't want to risk possibly losing all your stats. Here's an easy way to duplicate all of your settings and class configurations into your new profile.

First, load COD4 and create a new profile. Call it whatever you want. For example, my main profile was "NinjaOSG". I then made another profile called "NinjaOSG-HC" which I will be using for playing on the hardcore server. The game will ask you which profile you want to use and if it doesn't you can switch to it from the profiles section on the main menu.

Once you have your new profile created, exit the game completely and open up My Computer. From there you want to navigate to your COD4 installation directory and more importantly, your profiles directory. By default it is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles\". Once you are in the "profiles" directory you will see a folder for your original profile and your newly created profile. From this point, simply copy everything in your original profile folder and then paste into your new profile folder. At this point, you've made an exact duplicate of your original profile and that's all there is to it.

Now load up COD4 multi-player and you'll be able to switch between your two profiles and it will have all your custom settings and class configurations intact.

UPDATE 4.13.08: This is also useful for backing up your profile. Once you've copied your profile directory simply paste it to wherever you store your back ups.
    Last edited by Ninja; 04-13-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Updated

Cool... Have to try that

Gamer IDs

Just an update. Hopped onto the hardcore server with Tomb today and the custom classes are not available. However, all the options are available with the default classes so you can pick any perk and weapon config you want but you won't be able to use your custom classes at this time.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: tombstoneOSG
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaAssassin View Post
    Just an update. Hopped onto the hardcore server with Tomb today and the custom classes are not available. However, all the options are available with the default classes so you can pick any perk and weapon config you want but you won't be able to use your custom classes at this time.
    Ninja's right and I appreciate his time helping me test the server settings out. Looks like the Mod Warfare servers do not allow you to Create Classes. I am going to change the DEFAULT loadouts to something I think is more preferable than the lowest level default. The nice thing is ALL Weapons and Perks are available. I will be looking for input on what makes good default loadouts for the different classes so it will be easier to set your loadout before joining the game.

']['
    ']['

Gamer IDs

Saw this...maybe an easier way to routinely backup your Profiles.

From COD4 Gamers Network
    Backup your player profile!

nohponex have made a very nice tool to easy make backup of your COD4 player profile in case you need to reinstall the game or even have a full system crash. Of course the last event would demand you to save the backup on a external device. To make your backup all you need to do is to choose the path of your profile and where to save it - then hit "Back Up". Cant be easier then that!

The program requires .Net framework 2.0 and can be downloaded as a;
    Installer file: [HERE]
    Programfile: [HERE]
    ']['
    ']['

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaAssassin View Post
    For those that are planning on playing on the COD4 Hardcore server and don't want to risk possibly losing all your stats.
    Take it from me - start a new profile. I'm now a private again.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Balti View Post
    OMG I thought you had heard about the bug. I thought I had heard they fixed the bug in the last patch though. Are you sure they are reset???

Sorry man...that sux.

']['
    ']['

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Balti View Post
    Now that sucks! Sorry to hear that Balti. Did you know about the bug?

Gamer IDs

Found this

After a lot of testing, a group of us have isolated the cause of this:
    To All Server Admins:
    If you set up a modded server (i.e. unranked) please dont use the forward slash () for the root path to your fs_game folder.
    The correct path is:
    fs_game mods/modfolder
    Many admins are using this:
    fs_game modsmodfolder
    which is incorrect. The game will still run using it, but the game reads the use of a forward slash as an attempt to hack the mpdata file for some reason, and hence resets your ranks, because it doesnt recognise the forward slash.

This isnt a "bug" as such, but perhaps IW can fix it so that the game recognises both forward and back slashes for direction to the root fs_game path. In the first patch maybe? Quoted From IW Forums
    I will check the fire daemon startup commands but I know I had the shortcut commands using the / correctly.

*UPDATE: That is not our problem. All the / are correct.

']['
    Last edited by Tombstone; 12-03-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    ']['

I thought the last patch fixed that problem. No big deal. Now I just play it again like I just bought it

correct me if im wrong, but the profile duplication has nothing to do with people getting demoted. That is soley for the purpose of having your load-outs ready on the modded server.

Do we have any more info on this from punkbuster and if they are going to fix the problem so people dont get demoted anymore on modded servers?

Gamer IDs

Not sure what you are asking Comet, The duplicate profile is to have a backup of you rank, loadouts, custom keyboard layout, etc. For some people connecting to a mod server totally resets their rank permanantly not just on the mod server. Ranks are irrelevant on mod servers cuz everything is unlocked and available if the server settings allow it. So everyone will always be the same rank on a mod server it is just the bug that resets player stats that we are hoping to help players avoid.

']['
    ']['

ok, i guess maybe i wasn't sure what the duplication did. I was guessing that the duplication wouldn't save rank at all, because it seems like thats something controlled/held elsewhere. I was assuming it was punkbuster that was resetting people and there was nothing we could do about it till they fixed their bug...

nevermind i suppose...

Anyone know if this has been fixed in the new 1.4pactch?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tranzen View Post
    Anyone know if this has been fixed in the new 1.4pactch?
    Hey Tranzen. Most of us just create a new Profile and use it just for playing on Mod servers. Just duplicate your control/key layout it is the only thing that transfers over.

Hope to see you rockin' with us on the servers soon.

']['
    ']['